“And she loved a boy very, very much – even more than she loved herself.”
– Shel Silversten
Our Earth is the most wonderful gift we have ever been given and it is our collective responsibility to care for it. Unfortunately, at the founding of this country our forefathers prioritized building civilization over any concern for the environment, but we know better now and we must take action.
The responsibility now falls on us to reverse the errors of our past and put our Earth first so our grandchildren and great grandchildren will have clean air to breathe and clean water to drink. Caring for the environment doesn’t mean you need to start wearing burlap or hugging trees. All you need to do is simply take time to be aware of your consumption and mindfully give back what you take.
Here are 5 things you can do to preserve our planet:
- Conserve Water. Running water is a modern luxury we tend to take for granted, but clean, drinkable water is the product of millions of dollars in research, planning, plumbing and conservation. Do your part by conserving water anywhere you can and refusing to take it for granted.
Here are a few ideas for decreasing your daily water consumption:
- Turn the water off while doing dishes and brushing your teeth.
- Take shorter showers or take a bath instead.
- Find and repair leaks and drips immediately.
- Re-program automatic sprinklers to run every other day instead of daily.
- Opt for doing laundry only when you have a full load.
- Capture and reuse gray water at home for rinsing off decks, driveways and outdoor furniture.
Take a stand against passive naivety and join the efforts in protecting our planet for future generations. Start by doing one thing such as recycling cans and bottles at home and slowly work your way up to what you feel is an appropriate contribution in relation to your consumption.
Our earth is a living, breathing thing that we’ve had far too much impact on. Just like in the children’s book, The Giving Tree, nature gives, gives gives. If we continue to take, take, take without ever giving back, there will be no tree to provide for the future.
Be mindful. Give back. Care for our environment.