Homeowners are often looking for ways to improve their home, while trying to find the right balance between affordability, functionality, aesthetics, and eco-friendliness. Bamboo meets all these requirements. Designers, contractors, and consumers have all taken note, as bamboo has made its way into homes as flooring, walls, window treatments, furniture and more. Here are the properties that are making this popular material a go-to green choice for interior design materials.
Bamboo is a readily available wood…well actually it's a type of grass.Therein lies the secret to bamboo's ascendant success as a housing material: It grows like a weed because it essentially is one. At a maximum of three feet per day, it is, in fact, the fastest growing plant on Earth.
Just the one word "bamboo" doesn't do justice to the range of looks the material offers. It can vary greatly in shades and textures, making it a versatile option for decorators and designers.
Whether natural or manmade, few materials can match bamboo's physical properties pound for pound. Because bamboo grows in wet, tropical climates, it is well-suited to resisting rain and wind. In fact, this unassuming reed beats out hardwood, brick and concrete alike in terms of compressive strength, while rivaling steel in tensile strength.
As a growing number of homeowners looking for eco-friendly materials in their decor, perhaps no single factor has contributed to bamboo's modern vogue in interior design more than its sustainability. As it is a grass rather than a tree, it can grow to a harvestable size (often over 100 feet) in a matter of months. This is in stark contrast to the years of water, fertilizer, and pesticide required by other timber woods.
Advantages of Bamboo
- Bamboo is a versatile material. It goes well with any type of structure.
- It is also utilized to the fullest level and nothing goes to waste.
- Bamboo is eco-friendly material. A lot of resources are harmful to the environment are not being used by using bamboo.
- Bamboo is also hard and durable. Structures made of bamboo can last over a century. If you’re looking for a permanent housing solution then bamboo may come in handy.
- The need for painting and polishing is least as bamboo comes with a natural and good look.
- Bamboo is also cost-effective. The cost of bamboo is cheaper than steel, concrete, and other construction material